Non-residential Activities Leader – KKCL Harrow School Summer
KKCL has been offering quality English classes to adults, juniors and businesses since 2002.
KKCL, a high quality British Council accredited English language school, is looking for local enthusiastic Activity Leaders to join our fun-loving team in Harrow, London. Activity Leaders will deliver our Activities and Excursion programme in and around London during the winter and summer holidays.
Summer School – 28 June to 16 August 2020
Details of Position
Activity Leaders are responsible for taking students on excursions on a daily basis and overseeing their safekeeping and welfare during their trip. As well as being sociable, Activity Leaders should be fun to be around and like working with young people, especially teenagers. They must have a detailed knowledge of London, be communicative and well spoken with good timekeeping abilities. Other duties include promoting our activities, airport transfers assistance and pickups, mealtime supervision, supervising activities and also leading and looking after the sporting activities.
There will be training and resources provided to help you, including a full induction, sample itineraries, worksheets and overviews. Also, as we place safeguarding as a highly important feature, we will give you full training to help you understand our guidelines when working with groups to allow for student safety whilst giving the students a fun and enjoyable experience.
Being a KKCL Activity Leader is also a great chance to meet interesting people from all over the world, gain free entrance to top attractions in London, be earning good money with flexible working hours, and have the opportunity for enjoyable, fun and rewarding employment.
– Taking responsibility for and managing our groups of teenage students
– Being able to present the attractions to the group
– Activities & Excursion preparation
– Ensuring the safety of the students at all times and during the excursions
– Making sure the excursions run smoothly and students and group leaders are contented
– Time management and arriving back on time with the groups from excursions
– Budget management
– Communicating with the Group Leaders before departure from school, going through the excursion schedule for the day
– Taking photos and videos with the students and groups, uploading them to our platform at the end of each excursion
– Supervision at meal times / break times
– Promoting the school’s activities and events through videos, social media and being on camera
– Pastoral care and looking after the welfare of the students
– Running sports, fun and cultural activities
Airport assistance and transfers:
– Staying in touch with Head Office and updating group status in real-time
– Meeting & greeting arrivals at the airport for individuals & groups
– Coordinating with the coach driver / licensed taxi driver to arrange pickup / drop-off at the airports
– Assisting students on arrival at the school or residence
Senior Activity Leaders
In additional to the above duties, a Senior Activity Leader, your duties are also to:
– Assist the Activities Manager to ensure the smooth running of our Activity & Excursion programme
– Help with training the new staff members
– Lead staff briefings with the support of the Activities Manager; assist the Activities Manager to build a positive work environment and motivate the team to deliver a high quality Activities and Excursions programme
– Deal with last-minute changes that may be necessary such as unexpected delays / student absences / Activity Leader substitution
– Prepare and supervise various evening activities and events
– Provide support, guidance and advice to the Activities Team
– Organise and run the sports activities on site
– Enthusiastic, organised and a natural leader
– KEEN INTEREST IN ART, HISTORY, SCIENCE, SPORT, CULTURE, SIGHTSEEING
– Excellent communication & interpersonal skills
– Able to motivate and encourage large groups of teenagers
– Capable of using your own initiative
– Responsible and flexible
– Able to stay focused under pressure
– Able to lead the group to a safe place in case of emergency
– Have the right to live and work in the country of employment
– Complete fluency in English
– Attend training prior to starting work
Essential for Senior Activity Leaders
– Minimum of 1 year experience of working with children is essential, as is the ability to lead a wide range of sports and activities
– Keen interest in culture, art, science, history, literature
– Keen interest in producing video content (vlogging, reportage, journalism material, news)
– Creative: able to play an instrument, act, dance, sing etc
– Keen interest in working in a school
– Able to speak at least one of the following languages: Italian, Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Polish, Russian
– Undertaking or completed an undergraduate degree
– Experience in holiday camps or in similar structures
– First-aid certificate, qualification in child supervision, swimming certificate, etc
Desirable for Senior Activity Leaders
– Though not essential, previous Summer School experience and/or experience of working with international students would be an advantage
– Professional experience in a residential context would be advantageous
Salary and Benefits
From 1st April 2020 Activity Leaders are paid as follows – inclusive of holiday pay:
Age under 18: £5.90 per hour
Age 18 to 20: £7.23 per hour
Age 21 to 24: £9.19 per hour
Age 25+: £9.77 per hour
Returning staff bonus:
+ £0.40 per hour
Senior Activity Leaders
+£1.00 per hour
*Packed lunch included on excursions plus free entrance to UK’s top attractions for staff accompanying a group.
Please apply by sending your CV and a covering letter detailing your suitability for the post and your availability.
Due to the volume of applications, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
We cannot offer work permits to candidates who are not eligible to work in the United Kingdom.
Should you be successful…
We will require the details of two recent and relevant referees who we will contact.
Any gaps in your CV will be enquired about, and must be explained satisfactorily.
KKCL is committed to safer recruitment so you will be required to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service check (previously called a Criminal Records Bureau check), or equivalent if living outside the UK, and you will be asked to sign the Children’s Act 1989 declaration safeguarding the welfare of children, and state that you have no known reason why you cannot work with children.
2 types of official identification and certificates (either originals or certified copies) will be required for our records. KKCL is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We have a comprehensive Child Protection Policy and procedures in place which all employees, volunteers and contractors are expected to adhere to.
Salary: From £5.90 to £9.77 per hour