Home Forums GT TEFL Certification Course Discussion – Devise Your Own Lead-in

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Leon
      Keymaster

Write your own lead-in ideas in this thread. Remember to read and comment on one or two posts.

valich
      Participant

T: Hello, children! How are you today? That’s fine.
      Oh! I’m dead tired. I’m sleepy. First, I had nightmare, then I had heavy sleep because I lost sleep over my problems.
      To tell the truth I didn’t sleep a wink last night. I was tossing and turning all night. I hope I’ll catch up on sleep and I’ll sleep like a log today at night.

T: And I wonder how do you sleep? Let’s discuss your sleeping. Are you ready to talk about sleep in English?
      How long do you usually sleep?
      When do you fall asleep on weekdays?
      How long should a person sleep to feel well?
      Is it harmful for your brain to sleep less than 7 – 8 hours?
      Can a lack of sleep cause illnesses?
      What happens to a person who doesn’t sleep enough?

valentinakarpeiko
      Participant

T: Good morning, boys and girls. I’m very glad to meet you. You know children I like traveling very much, because I can see many interesting places. If I go to Russia I will see the Kremlin; if I go to Britain probably I will see Tower Bridge.
      And if you go to Australia what sights will you see?
      Pupils: If I go to Australia I will see Uluru.
      T: When we go abroad we usually bring some souvenirs back home. What souvenirs do you usually bring back home from your travels?

Pupils: I bring magnets back home from my travels….

Ferny
      Participant

Hi guys! How do you feel today? I’m very proud because yesterday I reached and completed a difficult drill during my gym training, so even if I was tired, then I felt joyful and satisfied.
      And what about you? Did you have some experiences in the past days that made you feel like some of the following pictures?
      (I’m going to introduce a lesson about adjectives related to feelings, showing a nice picture that describes feelings across faces and explanation)
      Eliciting students to use what they see to describe their feeling
      Have you ever felt disappointed? Can you tell us when and why?…
      Have you ever felt sad? relieved….
      Are you optimistic….?

Ferny
      Participant

Sorry I got confused, I’ll try to create my own lead-in

l.koval.l25
      Participant

Steve’s teaching material – my Lead-in
      – Split the group into mini groups of 3/4 as soon as the students enter the classroom ( Instruction: pick up a card with a certain colour at the back and take a seat at a desk marked with the same colour.
      – Ask students in each mini group to look at the picture on their desk and brainstorm 3-4 adjectives to describe the image (images should represent some specific places or objects). Ask students to name the country they asociate the place/object with and give 1 reason for their idea
      – Give students 4-5 minutes for discussion.

Gabi Kotlubaj

lovely! thank you! Students engaged right the moment they walk through the door;=) very nice lead-in!

nicola.brodie-scott
      Participant

Lead in Steve’s Class:
      – List wonders of the world on the board (or pictures of the wonders, i.e. pyramids, Eiffel tower,…).
      – Ask the students if they can name them, tell me where they are and why they are related.
      – Put them in pairs to discuss what other wonders they have seen (2-3mins).
      – Get each student to tell the class one wonder their partner has seen.

Lead in Hannah’s Class:
      – Place the title “Stages of Life” on the board.
      – Ask the students to get into groups of 3-4 and name as many different stages of life as they can (birth, childhood, teenage years, adult, marriage, having children, death…)
      – Discuss them with the class.

irynaroubel
      Participant

Lead in Hannah’s Class:
      Ask students to look at the words connected with the three stages of life. What are these stages? (elicit the answers). What stage does each word belong?
      Divide students into pairs. Students tell each other about one of the events from their life using at least 3 words from the list.
      Students tell the class about their partner’s event.

Elizabeth Pillolo
      Participant

Lead in for Hanna’s class.
      Write “life” on the board. Pair students and ask them to decide in two minutes which are the three most important stages of life. Then students report back and compare ideas with others.

noemi.ch
      Participant

Hanna’s material – lead-in:

Write on the board ‘birth / marriage / death’, ask them to read it and take 1 minute to reflect upon those words and stages individually. After that, divide students in pairs or small groups (depending on the number of students in class), and ask them to:
      1) Add other life stages to make the list more specific.
      2) Make a list of events that are related to each stage.
      3) Discuss how life stages and events are different in every country.

After about 5 minutes, elicit feedback from the different groups and write the answers on the board -if necessary- so that everyone can see the big picture.

Steve’s material – lead-in:

Write on the board “World Wonders” and elicit information from the whole group. After that, explain that there are “Ancient World Wonders” and “Modern World Wonders”. Then, divide students in pairs or small groups (depending on the number of students in class), and ask them to:
      1) Guess which monuments are considered “Ancient World Wonders” and why.
      2) Guess which monuments are considered “Modern World Wonders” and why.
      3) Make a list of monuments (buildings, statues, paintings, or any other representation of humankind) they consider should become a World Wonder and explain why.

(Steps 1 and 2 could easily be turned into “Guess which monuments are considered World Wonders and why” if it suits better the group’s needs, either due to level, timing or any other reason).

They have 5-7 minutes to do it.

After the time is passed, the teacher shows images of World Wonders and asks whether students had guessed correctly. Next, he/she asks the different groups for other monuments they consider they should become World Wonders. If there is enough time, this could lead to a short class discussion about “What makes a World Wonder?”.

lucy.greaves
      Participant

Lead in for Hannah’s lesson:

Put 3 images on the board reflecting BIRTH MARRIAGE DEATH.
      Ask students to guess what the images reflect.
      Once the correct 3 words are established, ask the class to work in small groups of 2-3 to brainstorm as many words as possible associated with these 3 key stages of life.
      Set a competition for the group that comes up with the highest number of unique words (ie words that no other group thought of)
      Write all the words on the board underneath the relevant image as the students call them out. Each group taking turns, with each student participating in reading aloud whilst the other groups check if they had the same words.
      Elicit short conversation about the students’ ideas for other key stages in life.
      Time permitting this could develop into a short class discussion about which additional key stage should be added to the 3 on the board and whether the word marriage should stay or be replaced.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.