Home Forums GT TEFL Certification Course Discussion – What makes a good teacher?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Leon
      Keymaster

You are going to consider the concept of a good teacher. What makes a good teacher? Think of how you would like your students to see you and share your ideas with other course participants on the discussion forum. (Focus on The Teacher – 3A)

Janice C.
      Keymaster

In my opinion, a good teacher is up for any challenge with any type of students and find new ways of teaching our students. Being flexible and willing thinking outside the textbook is essential. We should not restrict ourselves to one type of learning materials and only teach from the textbook. It’s our duty to help students to actually learn something from class, rather than only rely on what the textbook tells us to do.

Gabi Kotlubaj

this is a really valid point, Janice. What you are saying is that a good teacher goes beyond the course book and makes their students’ learning experience more authentic and personalised. From your comments, it is clear that you also recognise the importance of variety in the classroom- to keep your students engaged, you need to vary the material as well as interaction patterns.

valich
      Participant

I think a good teacher is a person who understands students’ needs and interests, finds a common language with any type of a student. A good teacher is out-of-the-box thinker and , flexible, creative, friendly, empathetic.

Gabi Kotlubaj

you are so right. Classrooms are hardly ever homogeneous and they are typically made up of individuals with different needs and expectations; understanding those needs and expectation is the first step to effective teaching. You have also touched on another important issue- to be a good teacher, one needs to think on their feet and demonstrate flexibility in order to respond to what happens in the classroom in real time.

Ferny
      Participant

Teacher has to be patient, enthusiastic, involving, adaptable, a good communicator and listener, careful in respecting learners differences, and well organised.

Gabi Kotlubaj

Thank you for your thoughts on this. As you are saying, a teacher has a number of different roles in the classroom, e.g. a motivator, an organiser, a listener, a communicator as well as someone who has to think on their feet as the lesson unfolds.

valentinakarpeiko
      Participant

I think a good teacher is inspirational, creative, flexible and motivating. A good teacher respects and pay attention to students’ interests and uses this information in the lessons.

Gabi Kotlubaj

very good points- I can see you certainly appreciate how important it is to personalise lessons. there is no better teaching material than one based on our students’ interests.

Paul Wiseman
      Participant

A good teacher needs to be flexible and prepared to add activities if the students are either quicker than you planned, or spend more time clarifying a point if the students are struggling.

Gabi Kotlubaj

Thank you for your ideas, Paul. Yes, we mustn’t forget that teaching happens in real time and we need to think on our feet!

cinzia appetecchia
      Participant

A good teacher is someone who knows how to understand student needs, listen to them and try to find the best way to deliver the teaching successfully. A good teacher is always ready to help the students keeping a professional but also welcoming tone.

Gabi Kotlubaj

Thank you Cinzia. You are definitely in agreement with other people on this forum- listening to students properly is the key to success!

Being well organised definitely helps. I also think there is a pastoral aspect to the role.

Gabi Kotlubaj

Anja, thank you for mentioning pastoral care- we often forget it is one our roles as a teacher!

A good teacher is approachable, has good communication skills (both in regard to listening and understanding student need as well as explaining concepts), knowledgeable, inspiring and makes learning enjoyable…

Elisabetta
      Participant

A good teacher is also humorous and cheerful. I still remember one of my all-time favorite teachers could light up any room with her smile and good vibes.

Gabi Kotlubaj

very good point, Elizabetta- if we don’t smile, we don’t give our students an opportunity to smile back! ;=)

l.koval.l25
      Participant

Teaching is hard work…some teachers never grow to be better than mediocre. A great teacher works tirelessly to create a challenging, respectful, warm environment for students, sets high expectations for all students and enspires them with his/her passion for education.

Gabi Kotlubaj

I guess passion takes us to a different level as teachers- it is how we inspire our students;=)

noemi.ch
      Participant

As has already been mentioned above in the forum, teachers have a variety of roles in the classroom. First of all, they need to be organized and focused on developing their task, and they need to show that they know what they are doing, students need such certainty to feel safe in the classroom.
      Moreover, teachers should be patient and take the time to get to know their students well in order to be able to adapt the contents to them, but also to be able to set more realistic learning goals. While they do that, they should also have a positive attitude in class, friendly and accessible, so that students are not afraid to go talk to them or ask for feedback.
      Finally, students need to be flexible and open to changes in order to adapt their lessons to their students’ needs and not force the learners to work at an unnatural pace.

nicola.brodie-scott
        Participant

I really like how you focus on what the student needs, that’s so important when teaching as every student is different.

Gabi Kotlubaj

Thanks Noemi! Recognising the importance of working at your students’ pace is a sign of a very student-centred teacher;=)

nicola.brodie-scott
      Participant

A good teacher is kind, patient and understanding. They are encouraging and willing to adapt their classes to suit each students needs. The most important thing about being a teacher is knowing you don’t know everything, and that your students can help you learn something new every day.

Elizabeth Pillolo
      Participant

I think a good teacher is one who is passionate about their job. Puts creativity in lesson preparation and doesn’t just plod through the book. A good teacher smiles a lot and encourages students to try. At the same time, he/she doesn’t push to much but respects the student’s time it takes to feel comfortable in opening up.
      A good teacher is part of the group and stands in front of the desk, if there is one, not behind it creating a barrier between himself and the students.
      A good teacher feels a bit nervous at every first lesson even after years of teaching and is happy to go to work every day. If the teacher enjoys the lesson most likely the students will too.
      A good teacher will revise the needs analysis occasionally to make sure they are still on track.

ele
        Participant

Elizabeth,I very much agree with your points. Smiling and Showing a positive attitude at all times is important for students as we sometimes don t realise how difficult it might be to be in a foreign country and insecure about a language you have to speak in order to get by.
        A good teacher should gain the trust of each student and make sure the time spent 8n class is useful and pleasurable at the same time.

irynaroubel
      Participant

A good teacher is a facilitator of the learning process. A teacher leads students towards their goals. He or she takes into consideration the needs of students and is ready to adapt his or her teaching strategies, methods and techniques to the learners’ needs.
      A teacher should also be creative to make lesson more involving and exciting. It is also important to be open-minded to be able to interact with students with different backgrounds.

ele
      Participant

A good teacher engages with his class as a whole and at the same time taking care of each individual need. This can be achieved by giving personalised assignments or tailored to each student.
      It is also important to use varied material, not Just sticking to the text book. The course book can be used as a guide but lessons should be enriched by topics that students can choose in turn, or by bringing into class magazines and newspaper clips in order to discuss news and cultural events such as art exhibitions, theatre, movies, etc.
      A good teacher is trusted by the students, is a good communicator and always ready to help. It is essential to look at the overall well-being of each student especially if we consider they often come from foreign countries or are minors or don t have family or close friends for moral support.

Thom Jones
      Participant

Great points all. I think one of the big factors to make a good teacher is…motivation. Actually WANTING to be a teacher is key. I talk to a lot of people who find themselves in our profession, because they weren’t sure what else to do. Which is sad.

If we’re not interested, our students certainly won’t be!

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.