Home Forums TEFL Certification Course Reflection – Teaching Reading Skills

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Leon
      Keymaster

Reflect on what has been covered in this module and agree or disagree with the information presented in this module.

Look back through the material and/or your notes and summarise and reflect further on…

• how you found the Module and the way you have felt;
      • the skills you have seen and practised in this Module. 

You do not need to write an essay, just some thoughts on what you have learned. You can use bullet points.

Remember to read at least two other postings and choose one to post a response.

valentinakarpeiko
      Participant

I found this module informative but rather difficult. I had to reread and revise information about teaching reading skills in order to complete tasks.
      I have learnt about various types of reading. Now I have a better understanding of the stages of a reading lesson and the different tasks to help students develop their skimming, scanning and detailed reading skills.

Fernanda Amodeo
      Participant

I agree with Valentina, I found this module a bit difficult in some tasks, but really detailed and well structured. Very clear explanation about planning a reading lesson, the stages and the examples of activities given were exhaustive, definitely great professional module.

Gabi Kotlubaj

Thank you Valentina and Fernanda! We are happy you found the module a little bit challenging and very happy you have completed it;=) We hope the information in this module helped you understand the principles of teaching reading skills, and it will help you design your own reading lessons in the future! Remember to download all lesson handouts and worksheets for your reference.
        Good luck with the next modules!

l.koval.l25
      Participant

The module refreshed my background knowledge and improved some of my skills. The tasks kept me interested and motivated. Video summary is always much more helpfull than just reading the lines.

irynaroubel
        Participant

I agree that video summaries are really helpful when it comes to revising the material. I like that the authors of the course kept them short and informative.

irynaroubel
      Participant

I liked the module because it helped me to refresh the structure of a reading lesson. I also liked the tips on writing effective comprehension questions because very often a teacher should adapt a textbook to make his or her lessons more effective.

noemi.ch
        Participant

I agree that teachers should adapt a textbook to make lessons more effective. In my opinion, for different reasons teachers might “forget” to do it, and this module provides tips and ideas for doing it effectively.

noemi.ch
      Participant

I enjoyed this module more than the previous one. I agree with others in that it was challenging, but it is also well-structured and it has helped me to become more aware of the different stages of a reading lesson. It also provides examples and ideas to create tasks. Overall, I found this module very interesting and useful.

Lucy Greaves
      Participant

This module was extremely helpful. The structure, examples, video and summary work well to give a solid understanding of how to create an effective reading skills lesson. The video in particular really helped to bring everything together. I found this module easier than others as there aren’t too many new technical words to learn.

david kweku.awuku
        Participant

Although I found this module a little challenging compared to previous ones, I agree with you on the examples, structure and videos used to aid understanding. They were of great help.

kouadio.marina
        Participant

I think it was easier because we had a lot of tasks which help us practise. So when you get it right, you aremore confident and your mind is wide open to receive the teacher’s notes about a particular lesson.

yewande.olusore
      Participant

I found the module very interesting and useful. Seems a bit challenging but the well structured video and task were so helpful. Now I know how to design my reading lessons without hitch.

david kweku.awuku
      Participant

Going through this module, I now have a better understanding of what my English teachers were doing back then. The module was engaging and full of tasks. It was a little challenging compared to the previous module but very informative and useful.
      I’ve always thought comprehension questions should be lifted directly from the text, I now know it should be paraphrased to check real understanding of text.
      Very interesting module.

kouadio.marina
        Participant

Yes me too I always thought that the questions should be lifted from the text. I realise now that students will just copy and paste the answers without a good comprehension of the text.

M C Crumlish
          Participant

I agree, I had no idea that comprehension questions should be para-phrased and not lifted from the text. The example we did in the module was very cleverly done, it made you think in a different way by using nonsense words. Bravo.

kouadio.marina
      Participant

I have learned a lot in this module, thanks to the practical tasks that we did through out the lessons. And learned that students need to do clear and manageable tasks before reading text and they should deduce words from the context of the text, no need to give them all the definition of words. And also the different stages of a reading lesson and how to design tasks really helped me.

Teddy
      Participant

I have learnt a lot from this module as it explained in detail and involved lots of cases to demonstrate how to do it in real class. Plus it guided me to better plan my reading lesson, although I still struggle to do it on my own. I may need time to practice more.

tracey.bond
      Participant

The videos are a useful summary. The content of the course has made me reflect on some of the resources that I use currently and how I can improve them to promote better understanding when developing reading skills.

To me I have learn a lot about this modules and I am better off
      I now have a fair idea of lead-in, pre-teach, reading for gist, reading for detail and follow ups.

iman.ahmed
      Participant

I thoroughly enjoyed this module however I did find it slightly challenging. The challenging parts were coming up with my own tasks and trying to be creative. I now have a good understanding on how to plan a lesson and the different stages of teaching; pre, whilst and post reading tasks.

M C Crumlish
      Participant

Excellent module, really got to the essence of a reading lesson. It is skills based. The pre teach of lexis is for recognition to understand the text.
      I found this module challenging however I could understand each stage of the lesson plan so much better now. The video of Hedi gave me such a better idea of what is expected of a teacher in the classroom, in the 21st C.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.