Home Forums GT TEFL Certification Course The issues in the native speaker and non-native speaker debate

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Alexandra

Whether you are a native speaker or a non-native speaker English teacher, we would love to know your thoughts on native-speakerism in the EFL world. Use this discussion thread to share your personal experiences and ideas.

Janice C.
      Keymaster

In my opinion, if you are a good teacher, whether or not you are a native speaker, it does not matter. You have the knowledge to teach your teachers, that’s the important thing. As a non-native speaker, I find it a lot easier to learn from a non-native speaker English teachers as they tend to be able to explain the grammar concepts more thoroughly since they have gone through the same learning curve as they were a student themselves. I know many non-native speaker English teachers who are at Native-level fluency and they find it very easy to find work around the world especially in Japan and South Korea.

Janice C.
      Keymaster

In my opinion, if you are a good teacher, whether or not you are a native speaker, it does not matter. You have the knowledge to teach your teachers, that’s the important thing. As a non-native speaker, I find it a lot easier to learn from a non-native speaker English teachers as they tend to be able to explain the grammar concepts more thoroughly since they have gone through the same learning curve as they were a student themselves. I know many non-native speaker English teachers who are at Native-level fluency and they find it very easy to find work around the world especially in Japan and South Korea.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.