Home Forums GT TEFL Certification Course Topic – Can grammar be fun?

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Janice C.
      Keymaster

What is your experience of learning grammar? Do you believe it can be interactive, communicative and even fun?

Share your thought with other people by posting them in the discussion thread below.

mct_13
      Participant

Yes if you have the correct resources and lots of activities.

Diana Varga
      Participant

Yes. Who doesn’t like having fun? 🙂

silvanadeca
      Participant

It can although often ‘fun’ lessons take so long to prepare that teachers tend not to bother.
      Also, let’s not forget that we can get enjoyment and satisfaction from learning something new, ‘getting it’ or even finishing a task correctly. Not everything needs all the bells and whistles.

Hedvig Ilyes

I agree and believe that the simplest is the greatest.

valentinakarpeiko
        Participant

Yes, I agree with you. And I like your words that “Not everything needs all the bells and whistles”.

cristiane.ribeiro
        Participant

I agree with you. Its necessary to study the boring parts of Grammar

valentinakarpeiko
      Participant

I’m sure that grammar can be interactive, communicative and even fun. Different songs with grammar structures, grammatical or communicative games can help to make the process of learning or teaching grammar interesting and amusing. We can practice grammar in different plays or role-plays…. Without doubt, such lessons need a lot of preparation.

irynaroubel
        Participant

Totally agree. All the activities you have mentioned can make teaching grammar fun and engaging.

irynaroubel
      Participant

Grammar can be fun but it takes a lot of time and efforts from the teacher. It is very important to use different types of activities while teaching grammar, otherwise students can become bored doing the same things over and over again.

Hedvig Ilyes

Variety is really important.
        Being familiar with various ways of structuring our lesson when designing a grammmar lesson, which one can learn about in our TEFL course, will help to narrow down what and how to do, making our preparation faster and quicker.

olga.johnson
      Participant

Grammar can be interactive and communicative, and, even, fun. However, it requires a knowledgable teacher with good teaching skills and the right attitude. It also takes some time to develop these skills and understanding of the language and the teaching methods.

Hedvig Ilyes

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Olga. You outlined beautifully what it takes to have engaging and communicative grammar lessons that students can enjoy.

medalit_holyoak
      Participant

To engage students in learning grammar is to prepare a positive environment where SS not only interact and communicate but enjoy learning it. Using games and songs motivate learners and provide opportunities for reaching learners goals.

Hedvig Ilyes

Yes, how much faster learning is when the lessons are enjoyable.

sarah.carlund
      Participant

Learning in general should be fun and engaging, as the student gets more out of the content being taught in the lesson. However, when I was at school learning GCSE Spanish and German, learning elements of grammar was really off-putting, when I could just about say where I was from in both languages! I think it’s important to learn grammar, especially after you have mastered, or at least have a good command of the target/foreign language you are planning to study.

Hedvig Ilyes

The positive, I find, in having experienced lessons that were not to my liking at school is to drive me to find ways of teaching in a way that allows the students to learn and enjoy the lessons at the same time.

Tayo Akamo
      Participant

All learning, regardless of the topic, can and should be enjoyable. Enjoyment increases engagement which in turn raises attainment.

Hedvig Ilyes

I also believe that student engagement is an important part of the learning process. Thank you for your sharing your opinion, Tayo.

Ferny
      Participant

The methods presented in the course are really enjoyable and engaging, and I agree with my colleagues, teachers have to be well prepared, organised and knowledgeable.

james.ammentorp
      Participant

Different people find fun in different ways. It is important to be able to understand and keep in mind the core motivations of students and include them in planning, ideally with a portfolio of possibilities to draw from. Grammar is no different.

Hedvig Ilyes

Thank you for mentioning the importance of involving students in planning, James. This is so important.

elizabeth.quevedo
      Participant

This is fun! I am glad that I can still recall those parts of speech. Unscrambling the word and filling in the blanks through the poem is cool! Thanks course designer!

Hedvig Ilyes

It’s great you loved the poem. Enjoy the rest of the module, Elizabeth.

anna.verdea
      Participant

certainly. moreover, students don’t really have to know they are learning grammar at that moment. for example, if you incorporate games into your lesson

Hedvig Ilyes

I also believe that discovering rules and regularities in language is much more memorable for students. Thank you for your thoughts, Anna.

marine.serobyan
      Participant

First of all the teacher should know the interests of her/his audience this will help her to plan an interesting lesson.

Hedvig Ilyes

Knowing our students is really important, Marine. James also posted something very similar to what you wrote.

brixhilda.muce
      Participant

Yes, I definitely think it can be fun! We can gamify our grammar lessons and use different resources that can make it more enjoybale and easy to learn.

Hedvig Ilyes

Using elements of game-playing can definitely make lessons more fun and memorable. Thank you for your thoughts, Brixhilda.

cristiane.ribeiro
      Participant

I like learning grammar, so I think yes, grammar can be fun, but it depends on the method used by teachers.

burcu.koc
      Participant

It definitely can be! The teachers should familiarize themselves firstly with the function of the grammar and then the form so that they can organize activities where students can focus on both form and meaning. There are so many great games online to be used for each grammar topic eithee to present or practice.

Hedvig Ilyes

I agree that analysing grammar before teaching it is essential. Can you share some of your favourite websites for using online games, Burcu?

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.