Home Forums GT TEFL Certification Course Topic – Ways to begin a lesson

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Leon
      Keymaster

As part of Ways to Begin a Lesson 1, share your ideas for a lead-in that would interest students, engage them and introduce the context of the lesson.

valich
      Participant

1. There are pictures of a dog, a cat, a hamster, a goldfish, a guinea-pig, a rabbit, a turtle, a budgie on the blackboard. Students discuss and predict what the topic of the lesson is.
      2. The Teacher shows students the picture of his/her pet and tells them about it.
      3. Teacher asks such questions as “Have you got a pet?”, “What pet would you like to have? Why?”, “Do you like pets? Why/Why not?” Students discuss with classmates.

Gabi Kotlubaj

This is great! communicative, personalised, dynamic and lots of images- lovely idea!Thank you!

valentinakarpeiko
      Participant

1. The Teacher tells students about a favourite pet.
      2. There are pictures of different pets on the board. Students predict what the topic of the lesson is.

Gabi Kotlubaj

very nice idea, thanks for this Valentina!students always like to know more about their teachers so it is really good to start a lesson with a personal anecdote. I’d probably add the element of personalisation as well- for example: ‘Do you have a pet?” What would be your dream pet?’, etc.

Ferny
      Participant

I think it could be an idea to put on the board the word pet, and brainstorming ideas that include different aspects of having got a pet: friendship, taking care, feelings, healthy life style, favourite pet of course, but it depends on the age of the students.

Gabi Kotlubaj

Fernanda, this is such a nice idea! thank you for this. I can see students brainstorming topic related ideas in small groups- a very communicative task that will also enrich students’ vocabulary. Brilliant!

I think it is always lively to use visual clues as well!

I think I would put a picture of different breeds of pets underneath each chair and would ask students to find the matching pets and group accordingly. I would then ask the groups to tell me what they think the lesson is about.

nicola.brodie-scott
      Participant

1. I would ask the students if they had any pets, or -if they don’t have one -what pet they would like to have.
      2. Have a list of different pet names on the board. Then play a sound recordings of different animals (i.e. barking, miaowing, etc) and have them guess name of the animal in English.
      3. I would have a selection of animal pictures around the room. The students have to pick one, describe it and see if the class can guess what animal it is.

noemi.ch
      Participant

1. In pairs, they talk about pets: if they have or had any, or if they would like to have a pet and which one, etc. They can also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having pets.
      2. Students move around the room and they read cards which contain different types of information: different people’s experience or anecdotes about pets, fun facts about different animals which can be pets, questions which encourage reflection on the topic… Students start by reading the cards individually, and after some time, they go back to their seats and discuss with their partner their ideas. Alternatively, they could discuss the information on each card with whoever is on the same spot as them at the time. This could encourage them to talk to different people every time.

Elizabeth Pillolo
      Participant

I would start with a guessing game.
      With younger students I would play a guessing game with animal sounds and then ask who has a pet.
      Other guessing game to introduce the topic could be done by dividing the class into two teams. The teacher reads out a sentence that describes a pet e.g. it has four legs. Teams can try guessing after each sentence. The first to get the
      right answer gets a point.
      Student picks a card with name of a pet. Others ask closed questions. The first to guess picks the next card.

ele
        Participant

Hello Elizabeth,
        I like your suggestion of a guessing game to start the lesson. Younger students and beginners would certainly love it.

ele
      Participant

There are different ways to beg8n a lesson depending on the class level. For beginners I like the idea shared by many on this forum about pets, either writing the name pet on the board or sticking pictures of pets on the wall or handing out pictures of animals to the students. For an intermediate level the same concept of using images to provoke a discussion could be used with famous paintings, or capital cities or historic characters.
      I like the idea of starting the lesson commenting on a picture, a song, an piece of news…to then introduce the content of the lesson and possibly move to the text book.

yewande.olusore
      Participant

Before introducing the context of the lesson,
      I can start with showing them a picture of different pets and tell them to mention their names.
      I can sing a nursery rhyme like Mary has a little lamb…

I will show them a picture of my pet and tell them a story about how I got it.

I can also ask them if they have got any pet at home.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.