Home Forums GT TEFL Certification Course What we teach when we teach English

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Leon
      Keymaster
      Membership Points: 10,644 MP
      TrainerGallery Teachers RepresentativeGT Membership

Try to remember the time when you studied a foreign language at school. What did you study exactly?

valich
      Participant
      Membership Points: 2,870 MP

When I studied a foreign language at school, I studied mostly grammar, reading, writing and speaking. Less attention was paid to listening. We did listening tests once or twice a month.

irynaroubel
        Participant
        Membership Points: 2,150 MP

It’s a pity that there were not enough opportunities for you to develop listening skills.

gabi
      Participant
      Membership Points: 635 MP

I’m wondering if there was also a focus on functions (functional language) when you studied a foreign language? And how was phonology taught- as integrated skills or rather as a separate skill?

valentinakarpeiko
      Participant
      Membership Points: 2,460 MP

I studied grammar, reading and speaking.There wasn’t any attention to pronounciation.

irynaroubel
        Participant

We had the same situation, I suppose.

irynaroubel
      Participant

When I studied English, we mostly paid attention to grammar. We didn’t do much listening and didn’t focus on pronunciation either.

gabi
        Participant

Many foreign language learners often complain about listening skills being undervalued by their teachers; this is the same for pronunciation. I wonder if this is perhaps because teachers often don’t quite understand what it is that they can teach when they teach listening skills?

• This reply was modified 2 days, 23 hours ago by gabi.
      gabi
      Participant

Yes, it is also rather surprising because listening and speaking skills are typically considered together as the communicative skills. it is rather hard to improve speaking without having opportunities to develop listening skills. would you agree with me?

• This reply was modified 5 days, 21 hours ago by gabi.
        Anja Kroening-Maynard
        Participant

Gabi, I like your point about listening and speaking skills being connected!
        I think language learning methodology has changed over the last decades but is still dependent on cultural determinates.
        Studying Latin as a child there was a clear focus on grammar, vocabulary and reading. Of course studying a modern language speaking and listening are equally important.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 22 hours ago by Leon.
          gabi
          Participant

Anja, what you are saying is so very true! it is a funny thing about teaching methodologies- they come and go, they then return only to be phased out by something that has also already been ;=) the question is- is it the methodology used in the classroom that gives shape to our students’ learning expectations; or, perhaps it is exactly the other way round- it is the students and their expectations that enforce methodological changes? could never really answer this question;=)

• This reply was modified 2 days, 22 hours ago by gabi.
          • This reply was modified 2 days, 21 hours ago by gabi.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.